Blog
VR

About Hypoallergenic Jewelry

What is hypoallergenic jewelry?

Simply put, hypoallergenic is a term for jewelry that is less likely to cause allergic reactions. It contains little to no potentially irritating alloys, and will never corrode, tarnish, or rust over time. Although everyone has different metal sensitivities, Nickel is the common culprit for most metal allergies.Sensitivity to certain types of metals is a common problem that many people experience when wearing jewelry. It can manifest as redness, rashes, itchiness, oozing and more. Because of this, many jewelers use hypoallergenic metals.

"Nickel-free" and "hypoallergenic" are not synonymous. It's important to note that some metals described as hypoallergenic may contain some amount of nickel that ranges in smaller percentages making it less likely to cause a reaction depending on your metal sensitivity.


 

 

How Do You Know If You Are Allergic to Jewelry?

When it comes to figuring out if you have a jewelry allergy, you will want to observe areas of your body where the jewelry touches. This will be your best bet of noticing any signs of allergies as you skin will begin to itch and turn red, and sometimes leave a rash. Common signs of jewelry allergies include:

 

1.Rash on the neck.

2.Itchy earlobes.

3.Red marks where the jewelry touches

4.Swelling

5.Blisters


 

What causes a jewelry allergy? Here are some common examples.


Nickel 

Jewelry made from nickel is the most common metal allergy. A natural white metal often mixed with other metals to create an alloy, Often used in alloys to increase the strength and color of the metal,nickel can be found in earring posts, body jewelry, costume jewelry, and most cheap jewelry pieces. Nickel is a white metal that’s commonly used in alloys to add strength and color to metals. A large number of people (about 15%) are allergic to nickel, so metals marked hypoallergenic are considered to be devoid of nickel and safe to wear.

 

Brass

An alloy of zinc and copper, brass is a lower-grade base metal that will often cause allergic reactions. If allergic to brass, also be careful to avoid plated-brass jewelry as well.


Low Melting Temperature Metals 

Low melting temperature metals, like zinc, tin, and lead are common metals used in lower-cost jewelry. Most often found in costume or fashion jewelry, these inexpensive materials can easily cause a reaction with the skin.


White Gold

Compared to other alloys, white gold has a higher percentage of nickel. Even though rhodium plating adds durability and shine to the exterior, this can wear away, exposing the alloy underneath and potentially resulting in an allergic reaction.


German Silver

This isn’t silver at all. It’s just a nickel alloy with a fancy name. German silver, sometimes called nickel silver, is so called because it looks like silver, not because it contains any silver at all. So avoid this at all costs if you’re sensitive to nickel.


Brass

The metal brass is not allergy-free jewelry. Instead, it is a mixture of copper and zinc. The alloys will cause allergy symptoms and turn the epidermis green if not correctly plated. Unfortunately, as this plating fades, an allergic response can occur.The metal brass should be replated every few years to avoid irritation. If it is not replated, you may experience symptoms over time as the alloys react with acidic elements in your body, such as sweat.

 

Though rare, some people may also experience an adverse reaction to copper. It is important to note that green discoloration from copper is not a sign of a sensitivity or allergic reaction. Instead, discoloration is caused by the reaction of metals against moisture or perspiration on the skin.

 

Which metals don't cause a reaction?

 

Platinum – Platinum jewelry has high purity levels and is very safe to wear. While several metals are said to be anti-allergenic, platinum is considered to be the only true hypoallergenic fine jewelry metal. Jewelers recommend it as a totally safe, nickel-free metal to wear, especially for highly sensitive people. This hypoallergenic fine jewelry metal is also one of the most durable precious metals.


Niobium – An element rather than an alloy, niobium is nickel-free and very safe to wear. It also doesn’t tarnish or corrode easily and is highly durable. Niobium can be anodized which results in beautiful, iridescent colors.


Titanium – Similar to Niobium, titanium too is an element. It’s extremely strong, highly durable, inexpensive and lightweight. It’s regularly used in surgical implants.


Gold – If you like gold, go for yellow gold that is 14-karat or higher. The higher the karat weight, the more gold there is in the alloy, and the less likely you react to it.


Argentium Silver – A brand of tarnish resistant silver alloy, Argentium silver poses no risks for those with metal sensitivities. It’s the whitest metal, durable, highly scratch-and tarnish-resistant. What’s more Argentium is made from only recycled silver which makes it an environmentally friendly option too.


Aluminum- aluminum is nonallergenic. It's not a material that comes to mind when thinking about beautiful jewelry, but given how light it is and how easy it is to cast and work with, why not? Aluminum is the world's third most plentiful element, and its most significant advantage is its fantastic lightness; it is lighter than titanium but not as strong.

 

 

 

WHAT DO I DO IF MY JEWELRY IS CAUSE SYMPTOMS?


1.If you are wearing a metal ring, the ideal approach is to remove the metal ring and clean it thoroughly with a germ-killing antibacterial wipe before switching hands while the afflicted region recuperates.


2.If you're wearing a watch, keep your straps loose enough so that they can move freely; instead of strapping them on too tightly because air needs to circulate, or you'll trap sweat and bacteria underneath the watchband, exacerbating the rash.


3.If you're wearing costume jewelry, try to avoid putting it on areas that are likely to sweat. When taking off the jewelry, wipe it down with an alcohol swab to clean it before storing it.


4.After showering or hand-washing, take an extra moment to dry well under the band, ring, or bracelet, and then create a moisture barrier with unscented glycerin-rich hand cream. This will act as a protective barrier, repelling water and retaining moisture.


5.If you think you may be allergic to nickel, visit an allergist for patch testing. This will help you identify other metals you may be allergic to as well. If you develop a rash from wearing jewelry, stop wearing the piece and consult a doctor.


 

Wrapping Up

Hypoallergenic jewelry is the best way for you to enjoy beautiful jewelry without suffering from allergic reactions but make sure to shop wisely. It’s not a pleasant to spend a lot of money on something that looks good but will give you allergies in the long run. Remember to do some background research and ask for referrals before purchasing any hypoallergenic jewelry. Tianyu gems can makehypoallergenic jewelry, if you want to know more, please contact us.


Basic Information
  • Year Established
    --
  • Business Type
    --
  • Country / Region
    --
  • Main Industry
    --
  • Main Products
    --
  • Enterprise Legal Person
    --
  • Total Employees
    --
  • Annual Output Value
    --
  • Export Market
    --
  • Cooperated Customers
    --

Send your inquiry

Choose a different language
العربية العربية Deutsch Deutsch English English Español Español français français italiano italiano 日本語 日本語 한국어 한국어 Nederlands Nederlands Português Português русский русский svenska svenska Tiếng Việt Tiếng Việt Pilipino Pilipino ภาษาไทย ภาษาไทย Polski Polski norsk norsk Bahasa Melayu Bahasa Melayu bahasa Indonesia bahasa Indonesia فارسی فارسی dansk dansk
Current language:English